WHAT IS THE AIM OF THIS FASHION EXPERIENCE OPPORTUNITY
Lighting is key to successful photography and the final image, using film lighting is a skill mastered by the great Hollywood film photographers such as Sinclair Bull and Hurrell to create beautiful portfolio images of the Hollywood Starlets.
James began his photographic career using film lights and film lighting techniques to get the Cinematic looks of some of his portfolio work. This is your unique opportunity to learn from James and his team how to use cinematic lighting to craft your shots light with film lights. We will be using Arri film lights, Red Heads and Blondes and some LED lights.
Using film lights is a great way of making your images look different, The secret is to look for the sweet spot in how the light falls onto the subject, when this is used with correct make up the image just gains an intense luminosity both in black and white and colour. On this experience you will have the opportunity to shoot with film lighting with professional models to help create that perfect classic look but in a modern way. The lighting James will demonstrate is suitable for modern stories or fine art fashion pieces.
WHAT WILL I GET OUT OF THIS DAY
- Learn to light with the film lights and with LED to create a similar effect, using up to 3 lights for that Hollywood glow.
- Film Camera opportunity with Real film stock shooting black and white supplied and processed by Ilford and access to Bronica ETRs and RZ6x7 and lenses to shoot some rolls for your self but also use your own digital camera and lenses shooting raw but viewing the shots as black and white so you understand how to light and capture images in the black and white
- The Digital process to get perfect black and whites
- Working with the model
- Makeup: using the correct makeup for the look
- Discussion about the elements involved in making this set work for you
- Presets, some giveaways to create authentic film looks in your digital darkroom
- Camera and lens techniques to create the soft look
- Burlesque model and fashion model
THE THEME OF THE SHOOT
The theme we are setting for this shoot is “FILM NOIR” celebrating the classic Hollywood Photographers work and how this transcends into modern day work. To make this interesting we are styling the shoots based around some classic images created in the 30’s and these will be styled and lit so you can gain authentic looking lighting but with modern fine art images.
The mood board gives you an idea of lighting styles are using.
HOW YOUR DAY IS PLANNED
Your day will begin around 9:30am, James will introduce you to the team involved in the days experience, we will make you feel comfortable and give you a brief explanation about your day and what to expect during the flow of the day, We discuss requirements for make-up, styling, hair and of course the model and what is needed from them. We will be looking at working with a range of lights so James will run through them and explain how they can work for you to create the look. He will run through the control of the lights and how to look out for the sweet spot. This creates the creamy effect in colour and black and white.
After lunch we will reconvene the shooting experience until concussion of the shoot by 3pm. After a coffee break it will be time to run through some of the images and some post production techniques in creating the perfect black and white image. James will run through some dark room techniques which can be recreated in Photoshop and give away some black and white presets which should help your black and white production in Photoshop.